Saturday, October 5, 2013

First-Born


I've been paying so much attention to my e-Books that I've been neglecting the only one that isn't an e-book – my first child, so to speak.  

Every mother knows her first child holds a special place in her heart. She doesn't love him or her any more than the others, but no matter how many she gives birth to, there'll always be a tiny space in her heart that is reserved for her first-born. 

When it was time for my first book to be born, I was almost as nervous as I was when I gave birth to my first child. I didn’t know what to expect. But I soon learned that it wasn’t all fun and games. Childbirth is a serious proposition, whether it’s a rosy-cheeked baby or a thought-provoking book you’re bringing into the world. 

But, like all mothers, with the help of some very knowledgeable people, I came through both birthings without any serious trouble. And in each instance, when I saw my prize, I was a proud, happy parent right along with my husband. 

Somewhere in Heaven My Mother is Smiling holds a special place in my heart. My mother passed away a few years before the book came to life, and the title evolved from the many things I had written about her. It still tugs at my heartstrings to read some of those pages. 

No matter how many books I give birth to, this one will always live in that singular place. There is room for nothing else – except, perhaps, my first-born child.                                              
~~~
www.amazon.com/author/peggytoneyhorton
  

6 comments:

  1. A really nice post Peggy. How clever to compare the birth of your book to the birth of your child. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful comparison writing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely metaphorical piece, Peggy! Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elizabeth. And thanks to all of you for your nice comments. I appreciate each and every one! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book, Peggy! I read it cover to cover twice, then I went back and read my favorite parts again. You certainly have a way with words. Your life story reads like that of a famous literary character. Good stuff!
    One gets the feeling you really believe that your mother is smiling in heaven. How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt, Juanita ~ And she has every reason to smile, for I became just what she hoped I would. She molded and scolded and prodded and prompted until, at last, I am her mirror image.

      Delete